Saturday, June 20, 2009

Discovering the importance in communication


So there are many things I have discovered while staying in São Paulo, the biggest thing is communication. Not just verbal.  For the first time in my life I felt excluded, everyone was speaking Portuguese so fast I could not pick up enough of the words to understand. I began to feel overwhelm and my head began to hurt because I tried to tune them out yet I had a desire in my heart to understand. But my brain was mad at me because it was hurting and I could not pick up anything.  A battle within. But that happens, it's not like I'm going to wake up and be able to speak fluent Portuguese and be able to understand it just like that. Language take time, and I am fortunate enough to be in the country where they speak the language. This forces me to really understand the language. 
what's life without struggle? 
 
Some things I have noticed:
1 ) Brazilians do not use face towels
2) Don't waste food, for real. there trash bags are literally little candy store baggy
3)About 98% of all the cars are stick shift
4) Sometimes you don't flush toilet paper in the toilet you put it in the trash because of the sewage system
5)Outside the houses are big baskets were people put there trash on 
6)Motorcycle drivers-two words "watch out" they driver crazy, weaving in and out of traffic
7)Everyone always greets each other with kisses on the cheek- "my favorite its very sweet"
8) They always use military time
9) They always use thumbs up!

so a short and sweet broadcast of my time in são paulo:
Tuesday- dance the night away till about 6 am but I was half way sleep 
Wednesday- stayed in and watch a movie
Thursday- dance the night away at FEVER where there was a angle and demon dance show..too funny!
Friday- best night or hours because I never went to sleep till today at 12pm (crazy right). So I dance forró till 4 am and then I went to the airport at 6am for a 7 30am flight to BAHIA! 

Words can not really sum up all of my experiences here but I hope I have provided a small insight...


1 comment:

  1. Hey Les, get wit me tomorrow. Had a great time the last few days...inspite of last night. LOL! Sorry I didnt' get to say ciao to you ladies today.

    ReplyDelete