Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Still Running Back...

Também,
In my other class, Brazil: culture & society class we going over main accomplishments and the problems Brazil has and are facing today. Topics we have covered and some that we have not got to yet include: military rule, economic issues, education, health p=issues, income distribution ( lack their of in my opionion), poverty, wealth, racial issues, land distribution, music, demographics, popular culture, the Afro-Brazilian contribution, and of course all the things i learn by just LIVING HERE.

In the past i have also had a guest lecture on Afro-Brazilian religions, focused on candomblé. I really enjoyed learning about this particular religion because in my African dance class we talk about many of the Oxias discussed. This lecture was an interdisciplinary experience for me.. ( FAIR school.lol) I learned that according to Nicolou ( sry cant remember last name) there are six characteristics of candomblé:

1. divination 2. initiation 3. sacrifice 4. celebration 5. possesion & 6. Healing

I hope I have inspired you to want to learn more about candomblé and I look forward to more in- depth convo about all this.


Also last week ( 9 de Julho) we had a a lecture on carnival: music and culture by Prof. Ary Lima. It was a cool class, got to listen to different kinds of music, history part of it, and of course talked about MJ and Olodum. Olodum is a cultural group that was ft. in the song "they dont care about us". But throughout the week Olodum performance in Pelurinho and on Tuesday they practice outside. Olodum is largely centered around music. It is credited for developing samba reggae, but it also offers cultural activities for the youth. 



 
Furthermore, had a dance class!( 10 de julho) I thought i was dreaming when i heard this, it was so much fun! Although i was tired because i barely slept, my bed is a bored.literally. but the love my host mom fills me with eases my back pain. but ya we learned forró, samba, and pegudia( spelled so wrong). out of the three my favorite is samba! although pegudia you can WIND IT UP..lol. man this was a funny class.

oh ya 8 de julho I visited Case de Jorge Amado e Iregreja Rosário dos Pretos!! I have been doing so much here in Brasil..my bad for not sharing everything..lol
But ya... Jorge Amado is one of the most famous authors, he wrote I believe 56 books!



Igreja Rosário dos Pretos- this church was an all black church ran by black women. In the past only black women over the age of 55 could be buried here. All the sculptures on the wall, including the object that potrayed Jesus, had a brown face, I rarely see that in my life!


 
Today the guest lecture was Prof. Claudio Pereira also from the University of Bahia, he talked about the History of Brazilian Films. I really enjoyed his lecture, although i was half frustrated because i could understand portuguese and i knew my Professor Q was not translating everything directly..ugg oh well, more motivation!
After is introduction he shoed us a short film entitled " Island of Flowers" ( i forgot who it is by) BUT PLEASE TRY AND SEE THIS!! really really good, wasn't what i expected and the beginning threw me off but then it hits you, as Prof. Pereira said this film "punches you in the stomach" and it did exactly that. TRUTH HURTS! and this short film epitomizes that and also displays the Brazilian circle of Poverty and Waste.
We also talked about how films are not really popular, not just Brazilian films but foreign films from the US, etc. I will be experiencing my first movie theatre in Brazil tomorrow, two words harry potter!  yes yes i am a fan, actually a huge fan. i have all the books and I have read all of them..lol


Being GOOFY!





No comments:

Post a Comment