Monday, September 20, 2010

I'm Back

I know I know, its been a while but I've been trying to learn my way in Portugal. I will try to update at least once a week. Every day I have no obligations or plans and for some strange reason everyday becomes FULL and I'm busy.
From last time I wrote(about two weeks ago) I experienced the night life in Coimbra. Tuesdays and Thursdays are the most popular days to go out. Every barr here is always packed full of people, majority if not all students. They also have places where a people dance, called discoteci. I went to an african night one with a few friends i met that are from cape verde, it was really fun. But guess what time it started? Like 1 am!! thats another big shocker here, people go out at 1 or 2am and don't come home till 6 or 7am. I don't know how they do it, they must take naps but every time i ask people if they take naps they tell me no. I get so tired waiting for 1am around 10 and 11pm. My brazilian friends I always telling me to stop acting like a baby..lol and come out. It's funny to think I'm in Portugal and majority of the friends that I have made are from Brazil. It's so much easier for me to understand Brazilians speak Portuguese than it is to understand the people of Portugal. But i will honestly say that the portuguese people here have a way of giving bad vibes to brazilians here. whether its in a joke to another friend, or a certain look. I may not understand every word but I definitely understand body language and the vibes people give off to one another. It's mostly Portuguese people "correcting" Brazilians on the way they talk as if they speak some other language. To me, I thought the people would be more kind but you see this competition, this attitude that says"I'm from Portugal and speak portuguese and you don't." I'm not Brazilian however spending time with my Brazilians friends its seems at least once a day some Portuguese person makes some joke about Brazilians.

The week after that I celebrated my friend Natalia birthday and that was a lot of fun. It amazes me how nice and happy all these people around us were about her birthday, people who have never even met her. The bartender Avo, has become a friend of ours and he made a whip cream and oranges cake for natalie. It was a really nice gestures and afterwards he danced on the bar..lol

Natalie and I

The bartender Avo dancing

The whip cream oranges cake



No comments:

Post a Comment