Monday, September 6, 2010

Exploring my new surroundings

The very next day (Saturday Sept 4, 2010) I look forward to my honey cluster cereal. I pour my ligh fat milk in the cereal and it taste so weird. i tried to force a few more bites in my mouth. Why am i forcing myself to eat this? I pour it out and head to my room for my I miss america drawer which is filled with family photos, candy, english books, my cell phone, and oatmeal. I grab my never-let me-down oatmeal and eat it with a smile.
I meet a few Portuguese students here so I talk to them for a few hours. One of their names is Sonia.
My friend Sonia
She is a master student study biomedical engineering (I got a head ache type that). She is really nice and helped me set up the internet for my lab top. Just remembered I been in Portugal and haven't been able to contact anyone because the phone card I receive for free from STA with like 10 minutes on it..lol wasn't working on the pay phone(are they suppose to?) I finally contacted family and friends, I set up the magic jack and then my mac dies in the middle of a great skype convo. I can't find an adapter for my computer, I thought I brought one but I couldn't find it. I head to the mall to purchase one, I buy one all excited, I get back and realize that it only allows two prung american plugs and not 3 prung. I go back to the mall trying to search all over to find one, with my mac charger so they understand what im looking for. No luck. in my sadness (so dramatic..lol) I stop at this little cute shop and order a crepe. Again I'm not sure if I sit where ever or how it works i don't want to just assume I can sit anywhere, the garçom (waiter) understanding my confusion speaks in english and tells me I can sit where I like. I think uhh why does everyone speak english here. It's going to be hard for me to earn Portuguese if everyone speaks english, watches all the american television series, and blast american music on their stereos. Well the garçom askes me later why i looked so down and Iexplain how I really would like to charge my computer so I can have communication with my family and friends. He tells me about another mall that may have an adapter, he says ill be right back. He comes back a few minutes later with this map he drew, he further explains what bus I need to catch and where to get off. I thank him, pay him for my crepe, and with my spirit lifted set out to find the other shopping mall.
I find the shopping mall I look around, get lose, get help, and then they tell me that they don't have it. In my despair I decided to buy food for dinner, food always cheers me up..lol. I have my hands full of groceries and wait at the bus stop for what seems like a whole hour. Bus finally comes, I think I'm on the wrong one. I sit patiently to afraid to ask the bus driver, for some reason I just have confidence in my directions even though I never even been here before..lol well I see a familiar land mark, I push the stop button and get home safely.
The next day (sunday Sept 5, 2010)I met a few other girls who were staying downstairs one was from Australia, one was from Czech republic and three of them were from Brazil. A few of us took a mini tour of the campus with our awesome tour guide Sonia.

A statue of a hardworking woman
A restaurant called the Manga=The Mango
The streets are all weird like this kind of reminds me of Inception

In the Botanical Garden
Another beautiful water fountain
It's tradition to throw the freshmen in the pound
Steep stairway that leads to all the barres



No comments:

Post a Comment