Thursday, March 10, 2011

Back in Brazil

I can’t believe its already March, felt like just yesterday I was leaving Portugal. But here I am trying to catch up again with my blog.

After my time in France I had a flight out of Paris to Salvador do Bahia, Brazil. An overnight flight, but I couldn’t complain it was basically empty so I was laid out on the chairs, sleeping. I arrived in Bahia to the burning sun, I was literally peeling off clothes in the airport it was so hot. I had a 2 hour lay over at 5am in Rio so I tried to sleep but mostly people watched. Brazil hugged me warmly with: brazilian accents, tight fitted jeans, guys that look like they work out everyday(the gym=capoeria), tighted fitted jeans on woman, high heels, cut little tops, and the beautiful different skin colors. I think that’s one thing I love the most about Brazil everyone’s has such a unique skin tone. Come to Brazil I leave the black and white perspective we’ve grown up in, come with an open minded with a country that has similarities as well as very different history than the US.

After a day of sleeping, I met up with my friend Caelli to eat Açai (not sure how to explain, i think Açai is fruit, its really cold, and then it has granola and banana on top)

It was really great to catch up with her because I literally haven't seen her or talk to her in years. I really enjoy catching up with old friends, sometimes you see how far a part you both have really grown and sometimes you see how the individuals path interweave.

My 10 days in Bahia I literally had dance class early in the morning with Mestre King and Carlos Ujumha, then walked home(35 min walk every day to and from=exercise) ate lunch, showered, and finally the best part I usually went to the beach till the sun was set. Towards my last couple of days I was introduce to this amazing burger place that begin to be my dinner spot. It was so good! Although one burger just wasn't enough..lol

Professor Mestre King, Jessica, and I

Class photo; besides Brazilians there were many students from Australia as well.

On my last day I hung out with friends and stayed up for my 2am taxi driver because I had a flight at 5 30am, wanted to get there early as well and wasn't sure how long the taxi ride would be. To my surprise i got there at 2 30am, so I had plenty of time for nothingness..lol I tried to lay around didn't work to well. When time finally passed boarded and headed to Bahia. Once I landed 28th of February I had orientation at the campus I would be studying at Federal University of Minas Gerias (UFMG). What a long day I had, with no sleep from the day before the orientation lasted from 9 am till about 5pm. Once over I just wanted to sleep, because we had to return the next morning for the same type of schedule.

So basically the whole first week that was mandatory for me to be here, which I understand although I would have loved to stay another week in Bahia, I got all the information I needed about visit, studying abroad in Belo Horizonte, met other students from around the world(mostly Argentina), and the best thing was looking and choosing courses. I have one of the best schedule despite the times, but I cant complain when I only have class MOnday, tuesday and Wednesday. So heres my course schedule:

1) Brazilian Anthropology 7 30 am every Mon. and Wed.(hope i make it to class..lol)

2) Latina Poetry

3) Iconography of slavery(iconography means the use or study of images or symbols in visual arts)

4)African Diaspora course of Brazil-> it's in the graduate school! I'm the most excited for this course, although it is 4 hours long on tuesday evening. but i have a plan, sleep before and lots of snacks to keep me awake, healthy snacks of course.

I thought about taking more courses but I don't want to over it do it and take on to much. I still am learning Portuguese. That never stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment