Friday, February 11, 2011

What's left

So I took a trip one time to Conimbriga, Portugal. One of the largest Roman settlement in Portugal and one of the best preserved. (for more information http://www.quintadoriodao.com/eng/out/conimbriga.html)

I went with the woman in charge of my program in Portugal. She said it was must see place and that people really treasured. The lady kept telling me, "Oh this is so beautiful, oh look at the detail, ahh it's so historical it was built such a long time ago…” As we walked through I was silent.



All I could think about the whole time was “who built this?” “Who were the people that were forced to build what so many admire?”

This was also something I seen there, it reads: House of the Swastika was the home of a relatively wealthy family. It's construction goes back to the 1st century AD...yadda yadda

After this trip I began to look up more about the history of the swastika symbol because I am unfamiliar with it. I found out that the symbol was used 5,000 years before Hitler used it. The word swastika comes from the Sanskrit svastika, which means “good fortune” or “well-being." The motif (a hooked cross) appears to have first been used in Neolithic Eurasia, perhaps representing the movement of the sun through the sky. To this day it is a sacred symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Odinism. (Information from www.ushmm.org)

This also caught my eye, it is in-door and out door fountain and garden. For .25 I placed in a machine near the fountain and watched the water actually spring up in action.


No comments:

Post a Comment